Sunday, May 30, 2010

Part Eight, South to Fulton County

On our way back from the North Country we traveled down the farm heartland of upper New York. It was a route that I traveled many times with my grandmother on our way to and from Watertown.


Who could forget Lowville and Lloyd's of Lowville?


Outside of Port Leyden there is a preserved section of the Erie Canal alongside a pull-off. It was something that I always had to see while traveling as a teen. And so, the boys and Melissa and I stopped and ran around for awhile.
















The Canada Creek.


These photos just fondly remind me of Upstate NY, coming through Herkimer County and coming eventually into Dolgeville. From there, of course, it was a jump down Route 29 past my high school, Oppenheim-Ephratah Central and onto Gloversville and my mom's.











2 comments:

Squirrel said...

Lovely shots as always... but isn't that the Black River canal, not the Erie? (I know that section of Rt 12 very, very well!)

BrenGun said...

Hey there, Franklin. I think that you're probably right. I had always thought it was part of the Erie Canal, which I thought was pretty far north for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_River_Canal