Sunday, March 18, 2012

Two Weeks Worth Of Bread

Some successful results and some lessons...
Very happy with a hybrid of a recipe that I came up between the pre-fermented wheat and an English Muffin recipe.
Naan that I made to go with some Rogan Josh chicken that I made, yum!
Went well especially with Guinness!
Last week I also tried my hand at making a sourdough starter. It was ready by last night and I baked it off. Unfortunately while strongly smelling of sourdough throughout the refreshment process, it didn't rise well for the final proof. The final result was an ok loaf and two small-ish boules, but too dense and not sour enough. Well, try, try again. I'll start another starter soon maybe with rye flour rather than whole wheat. Pretty amazing the power of wild yeast!
Another experiment that I attempted with a pre-fermented hybrid of the earlier oatmeal bread, this time with oats, wheat germ and sunflower seed. Good, but too dense, too many ingredients and maybe not enough yeast to give a good rise.

No comments: